The work has remained with the alphabet theme. They are collage pieces, with the layering of coloured paper and the addition of pencil and pen. The process of making was purely organic. Having fun with form, colour and line.
I found a few bright envelopes to post them in; I didn't want them to be completely battered by the postal service....
I have finally got the
swatches stitched together. A metallic border made up of different gold’s
and silvers was added around the piece, to hint on a gold frame. However,
once the piece was up I realised a lot more needs to be done to it. So I
have decided to put it away for a bit and revisit it with fresh eyes.
The patches are slowly coming together. It did start in some kind of order but then the wall got too small and compositional balance came into play. This photo goes upto the letter 'O' and I am determined to get to 'Z', however I feel by that stage the whole cabin will be covered.
I want it to be a playful and enjoyable experience to view. There
will be mis-matching, overlapping, and padding with all the pieces coming
together at the end. Hopefully the piece will be visually unified, with
not too much repetition of the same themes and forms. I want each to
stand out yet harmonize. With regards to the idea that is driving me,
play, it is still present in my thinking, although, I am becoming increasingly seduced
by the basic forms and colours. I have been thinking about what makes an
item 'playful looking'. The rectangles
are a personal response to that. I will be asking further afield.
But looking at this wall makes me happy and excited, which makes me know
I am on the right track.
A through to I. Playing around with composition, shapes and colours. It's at such a fluid stage. It really is just playing at the moment. Trying to adopt a 'do now think later' approach. Trying to make as much as I can and piece it all together at a later stage
Carrying on... I am
going to let the hanging piece air for a bit, pick it back up at a later stage.
Still carrying on with Morse Code I looked into the different methods it
is learnt. Dichtomic search, a tree like system of working out the letters
through their long and short sounds. Its formulaic, almost mathematical
appearance attracted me. So I’m working through different ideas and arrangements...
Now here is the ABC in Morse
code. As you can see it is a little uneven on the right, which is not
really what I want. Ideally I was hoping
for each row to be relatively equal in length, which hasn’t happened so I am
going to have to work out some kind of solution. At the moment I’m thinking some wall
interaction, perhaps using drawing and line to restore the balance. But definitely NO colour and NO further
stuffed shapes. I am still thinking about having it suspended away from
the wall, with the piece itself acting as a type of division. I am thinking that by having a wall up close
behind the shapes it might take away from their three dimensionality. We will have to see, but one thing is for
sure the sewing is OVER!Well for now at least.
For the last week I have been on a pattern cutting course, which has redirected me focus slightly from morse code blocking. It was fabulously interesting and equally as fabulously difficult. It did test my patients on multiple occassions. However, I stuck it out and at the end of the four days I ended up with an actual skirt that fitted me!
A bitty visual documentation of the process
Frida as inspiration
and the final result... ...front...
I know it's not an Alexander McQueen but i'm dead proud of it. It made the continuous unpicking and restitching worth while. Definately recommend it! Plus I met some great people :)